NACZMZNAC Emblem

Map

Check Your Emails Here



About Livingstone City

By Nathaniel Lowa  

Livingstone is located in the Southern Province of Zambia and was established in the year 1905. The city was named after a missionary explorer Dr David Livingstone.

 

Dr David Livingstone, a Scottish missionary and explorer, is believed to have been the first European to view the Victoria Falls on 16 November 1855.

 

Victoria Falls, which lies in between the borders of Zambia and Zimbabwe, was named by Dr David Livingstone in honour of Queen Victoria of Britain, but the indigenous name given by the locals, “Musi-O-Tunya”, which means, “the smoke that thunders”, is still being used today.

 

In 1911, the town was made to be the capital of then Northern Rhodesia (Zambia today) but in the year 1935, the capital was moved to Lusaka and since then, Livingstone city has been maintained as the tourist capital of Zambia.

 

In 1928 George Henwood Mkandawire who joined the New Apostolic Church in Cape Town, came to live in Livingstone and commenced to bring testimony of God’s work of redemption in the ministry of grace and apostleship.

 

Among the early converts were the late Apostle Jeremiah Njamba and a brother of Henwood. As a result of their untiring labor, many were added to the flock, some of whom later worked in the country in higher ministries and served to spread the work of salvation throughout the country.

 

The first divine service was held in the house of Brother Samuel Mkandawire, where deacon Henwood lived until he found a place of his own. As the number of members increased, more homes were used as meeting places for the divine services.

 

In the year 1932, Apostle H.F. Schlaphoff accompanied by Bishop Kreunen of Pretoria, South Africa, visited Livingstone.

 

As the membership grew, a site was acquired in Maramba, a suburb of Livingstone, upon which a temporary building was erected to accommodate the first congregation in Central Africa.

 

It was in this structure that Apostle Schlaphoff held the first sealing service in Central Africa. This service was the kindling of a fire which in time was spread throughout the entire length and breadth of the then Northern Rhodesia and far beyond its borders.

 

The church has been in existence since that time and this year it will turn 90 years. In celebration of this milestone, Chief Apostle Jean-Luc Schneider will visit Livingstone on the 26th of April, 2018 in celebration of the 90 years of existence of the church not only in Livingstone but the entire country as well.

 

The Chief Apostle will conduct a divine service at Nakatindi church grounds about 7 Kilometers from the Livingstone central business district. 14, 000 members are expected to be part of the congregation for the April 29, 2018 open air divine service at Nakatindi. This divine service will be transmitted live throughout Zambia on Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (TV1 & Radio 2).

 

In this divine service, Apostles Ignatius Bisenga Luneta of Senanga–Shan’gombo Apostle Area and Godwin Lubinda Nyuwa of Sesheke–Mulobezi Apostle Area will be placed into retirement after reaching retirement age of 65 years. Two brothers will be ordained into the Apostle ministry to succeed the duo respectively.

 

The name “Nakatindi” is an indigenous name which means “A small island”. The church is however not located on an island but it is close to the banks of the Zambezi River which has an abundance of small islands.

 

Nakatindi church officially started and was dedicated in the year 1973. It has a total membership of 531.

 

Livingstone is home to several economic activities and these include companies offering river boarding, white water rafting, canoeing, horse riding trails, boat cruises, walks with lions, elephant back rides and tours to the Victoria Falls.